Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Well, I promised I would keep you updated on all the cancer-related stuff and not just stories of goose poo and horny NASCAR fans....

I called the oncologist to check in on the blood work and I didnt get the answer I was looking for - the number went up a bit. What does it mean? Well, its not what I was hoping for, but Im not going to freak out until I go see Romer on Thursday. The nurse also said that this test was being compared to my last test which was done at another lab on another machine so the comparison might not be accurate, although I think she was just trying to pacify me.

I did find something interesting on the www.acs.com website:

If the marker level in the blood goes down, it is almost always a sign that the treatment is having an effect. On the other hand, if the marker level goes up, then the treatment probably should be changed. (One exception is if the cancer is very sensitive to a particular chemotherapy treatment. In this case, the chemotherapy can cause many cancer cells to rapidly die and release large amounts of the marker, which will cause the level of the marker in the blood to temporarily rise.)

So im sticking with the "one exception" explanation for the rise in the number. The chemo is actually working great! Kay? ITS WORKING FINE!!! FINE!! FINE!! REALLY!! Keep telling yourself that...I am.

Also, Im ok with things getting worse before they get better. Its going to make my appearance on Oprah that much more dramatic.

More on Thursday? If you're lucky!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay Fort...go with your gut and challenge everything!!! I know from experience, trust me, that the labs methods are not always consistent with certain protocols.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!