Wednesday, April 18, 2007


RANDOM THOUGHTS OF THE DAY

Ok, so I get a phone picture message from my friend Stewy (again, a 78 character web address that I carefully have to type in)....but I dont get a lot of messages from Stewy so I figured it had to be good. I dont know where she was going with this....I guess she was making fun of me since we went to rival high schools.....but she sent me a picture of a Fairmont HS letter jacket that read:

Orchestra
Class Council

Does anyone else think that letter jackets should be reserved for athletes only? I can tell you one thing, I was on United Student Body council and a few other non-sport groups and Id be pissed if someone tried to equate the paultry commitment that was to the blood, sweat, tears, suicides, two hour practices every day, weekend, weekday games, and dues I paid playing volleyball and basketball. Maybe Im just a jock snob, but it seems they're giving lettermans jackets to every jerk off that wants one. Class Council??? Whats next? Letter Jackets with "Bathroom Monitor" on them???


Im sure that in our over-coddled "Everybody's a winner" society, Bathroom Monitor's probably ARE getting letters. Im sorry. Im not trying to bash your interest, but dont try and tell me that ANY organization in high school requires as much physical and mental dedication as playing a sport....I know the wrestlers and the fb players had even more going on.




You smart people get your academic scholarships and your high paying jobs.....let us keep our letter jackets.




Other random tid bit, I got my tumor marker result back and it went up 20 points. Which, in the grand scheme of things, should be too worry some, as it went from a 67 to an 87, but seeing as it was up in the 300's before, Im not going to worry. Nonetheless....Romer might make me take another PET scan soon. Not sure. Ill find out on Friday. I see him in the morning at 8:20am.


If anyone is offering free stomach stapling, please let me know. These drugs have me tired and hungry ALL THE TIME and I am turning into a total fatass. HELP!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on, Fort! Thanks for the laugh, I totally agree with you. There's a reason it's called a "letterman's jacket" and you cannot "letter" in activities other than sports. I'm sure they can come up with something else...maybe corduroy coats with patches on the elbows, smoking jackets, rain slickers? Or maybe a nice "Members Only" jacket.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I like the idea of the corduroy coats with patches for things like NHS, other offices and scholastic based activities. And, I agree with you whole-heartedly, Fort. I remember the days of busting my ass for CC, Wrestling, and Track for those letters. Albeit, I never had the coat for them as we was too poor to afford such luxuries in life.

I guess, to play devils advocate, it keeps the jocks from being dick heads just because they have some article of clothing that someone else does not. Kinda like me having to wear Rayon from the Merry-Go-Round for a good portion of my life just because I couldn't afford the cool shit from A&E. That don't mean I am not just as hip-hop as the next kid, I just didn't have the cash to pretend such things!

Now, if they gave the jackets away, this would be a different story. If this were the case, I would totally want a different jacket if I were not only a jock. For example, there should be three jackets, one for dumb jocks, one for brainiac geeks, and the ultimate jacket for people like me who were brainiac jocks....LMAO. This group should also be given pimp canes so as to slap bitches who try to step to this!! Sorry, Snoop-Dogg is playing in the background this morning.

Anonymous said...

In the old days at Carroll we also had reserve letters and those could only go on the red jackets.

But if you got a varsity letter then you could buy the blue varsity jacket.

You could even be on the varsity team, but if you didn’t play much, you still didn’t get a varsity letter.

I think you had to play in at least half the quarters and Mr. Spoerl counted them like a hawk!!!

DAD

Anonymous said...

A girl at work was talking about her son a while back. They recently had their field day...or whatever they call it. I was really disturbed to find out that they didn't hand out any prize for first place in the events! Everyone gets ribbons. WTF?? Are we so worried about hurting people feelings now that you aren't even allowed to reward kids for being good at things? Why not just give all the students "A's" so that no one feels bad about being dumb. If a kid doesn't have athletic ability, they need to learn how to deal with that. I hope my old school doesn't pull that crap.

Stetson
Back-to-Back Standing Jump Champion
1986-1987

Anonymous said...

If you look a little closer, you'll also notice her sister's jacket (I know this cause I took the pic and sent it to Stewy... GO ELKS!!). Her second "varsity letter" is in Sports Medicine...

Anonymous said...

Do they have contests to see how fast they can tape an ankle?

Anonymous said...

Hey, just a little note. It isn't even that hard to be a smart kid any more. Last year Fairmont had like 25 Valedictorians. Hey kids, since you showed up most of the days this year… everyone gets a 4.0!!!

Call me crazy, or maybe just a little old school, for thinking the "everyone wins" stuff is crap but even my kids (4 and 8 years old) know the score of their games and let me know when they got their butts kicked.

Anonymous said...

ok-maybe there sould be other style jackets for other activties.But anyone who has played music in school knows the hard work and practice it takes to be good enough take it to the next level.Sure they can't hit the 3pt shot or score a touchdown, but can a jock play a diatonic c minor scale forward and backward while marching to the beat.

Anonymous said...

To answer the last post, some can, many can't. Letter jackets are about skill in sports, not artistic talent and should be reserved for those who letter in athletics. Just because something is hard doesn’t mean you should wear a jacket proclaiming your abilities in it. Unfortunately tradition and what is dictates has some value here and should be adhered to in order to prevent further erosion of the senses due to a lax limit to how much we coddle our youth. Question in return, does a band member know what the integral of ln of X is? Should the calc class all get letter jackets too?