Thursday, June 28, 2007

Its been a busy week, and Ive actually been writing things down in my planner so I dont forget anything.
1.John Mayer Concert
2. Save Matt's Marriage
3. Call Centers
4. Paperclips
5. A love song I heard on the radio where one guy was singing about loving another guy.
6. Why Finneytown HS is special!!

So yeah...I went to the John Mayer concert on Tuesday. I am a HUGE John Mayer fan and I really did consider going to this concert but as most concerts go, they're just too expensive and I can never make myself fork over that $40-$60 for a ticket. So again, John Mayer was going to come go, and Id be sitting at home, probably watching Countdown with Keith Olberman. I do love Keith.

So Im at work and I get an email from Andrea, Alisas sister that she's got an extra ticket to the show THAT NIGHT and it was late notice, but could I go???? HELL YES I COULD GO!!! I offered to pick her up, and pay for parking.....and even surprised her with a Bud Light Tall Boy to pound in the parking garage before the show.

The concert was awesome. When he first came out, Ill admit it. I started crying. I could hardly breathe half the time. We both just sat there and kind of took it all in and never really got crazy. It was a great show, no matter what that douchebag from the Enquirer had to say about it. Ben Folds opened and Andrea was more excited to see him than anything. It was a good set....about 45 min and I just think the crowd might have been too young to appreciate him. He really hasnt had any big hits since we were in college, so I guess I could see that.





Andrea and I give our approval in the car after the show. We were pretty pumped just to get out of the spot. We were towards the bottom and by the time we got to the car, there were five floors of folks bumper to bumper NOT LETTING ANYONE OUT. The guy to my left was trying to inch out too. I could sense a bit of tension between the two cars. So I got creative, hopped out of the car, ran to the car sitting two back, knocked on his window, and told him Id give him $2 to let my white Saturn out. So I went back to my car, told the guy next to me I was going to get a break, and that id let him out if he let me out first. It was flawless.



He responded, "Its sad you have to pay somebody", and I said, "Everybody's got price!"
But what I really wanted to say was, "Yes, Yes it IS sad that I have to pay some body".....but Im sure that two bucks was worth about 20-40 minutes
<
SAVE MATTS MARRIAGE!!!


Ok, So you're not exactly saving his marriage, but I guess you would be HELPING his marriage if you gave this poor guy a hand for his honeymoon. Ive known Matt since 96' when our crew partied with his gang from Buffalo down in Panama City. Great guys and we've all kept in touch. I know Stu would appreciate it if you helped him out- Ill let his fiance do the talking:



Hey all! This is our last ditch effort to try to save our honeymoon. Please read it and help us out. Then send it to everyone you know. Lets get this passport! Thanks so much!

Matt
Subject: Help save my marriage

My fiancé and I are getting married in 18 days. Wahoo!

But thanks to the US Passport processing cluster, it looks like our honeymoon will be the first lesson in marriage compromise. You see, I have my passport, my bags are packed and I’m ready to go. But Matt is not so lucky.
Even though my fiancĂ© applied for his documentation 12 weeks ago, we’ve been waiting by the mailbox for months and seen nothing but bills come and go, honeymoon dreams shattered, Greek Island cruise down the toilet, and best of all, the passport office has his birth certificate which is needed for our NYS marriage license.

I don’t think the feds like newlyweds all that much.

THE RALLY CRY
So, I know this isn’t a life or death situation but I’m tired of sitting around praying novenas for Matt’s passport to arrive. Since we’ve tried everything else, we’ve decided to stick it to the man and launch an old-fashioned letter-writing campaign with a new-school style. If you want to help save our marriage, (and our honeymoon) please click on this link and write to our Congressman, John Sarbanes on our behalf - - - - UPDATE----- NO NEED TO WRITE!! IT WORKED!!!
If this doesn’t work, at least we’ll have gone down swinging...

Thanks everyone…if we make it to Europe, we promise to bring a big jug of Ouzo back to the states and toast our online army. (That is, if they let us enter the country with more than 3 oz of liquid!)

Pass this on to everyone you know…and thanks for saving our marriage!


Call Centers


I took a call today and the first thing I heard was silence, and then I heard about two seconds of a loud busy call center. When I hear the call center, I can tell you its already a NO. And I kinda feel bad for those people because I know they're just doing their job and I did telemarketing in college so Im not hateful about it, but seriously, If someone called me from a call center to get my address to send me a million dollars? Id hang up on them as soon as I heard the giant room of sales people working the phones. And DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED on the autodialer delay, or the worst of all, when you answer the phone and hear, "Stay on the line for an important message" WHAT???!!!


PAPERCLIPS


Is anyone else particular about their paperclips. Im not even talking about smooth/ribbed, or butterfly vs the black clips, Im just talking #1's versus Jumbo. I HATE the #1's, they're WAY too small for the bigger things I need paperclips for. And for some reason my boss with ONLY use the smaller #1's so thats what I have at my desk. I cant stand them! Im ordering Jumbo's next week. Does anyone else have a persuasion either way?


A love song I heard on the radio today


So Im driving home from Finneytown's summer league volleyball game in Wyoming tonight and Im listening to this song on the radio, and its a guy singing, about how "Every time I stray, I keep coming back to him"......and I thought, "Wow! A homosexual love song! Man, radio has really come a long way, way to go, Gay Guy!" And then I started thinking about the struggles of gay musicians, and how great it must have felt to really break through with a legitimate love song about their life. And then as the song progressed, I realized they were talking about, "Him", as in, Jesus. oops.


Why Finneytown is Special!


I dont know that Ive even mentioned this on my blog yet, but recently got a job as the Finneytown High school JV Volleyball coach. Things have already started up for the summer and will only get busier in August-Sept-October. Open gyms and practices over the summer, and this summer league in Wyoming I was at tonight.

Anyway, I was sitting on the bench at the game and I thought of something......Finneytown High School (FHS) Wildcats. Colors are Light Blue and Red.....hmm.....

My High School - Fairmont (FHS), My Junior High - Kettering WILDCATS, My elementary - Beavertown, whos colors were LIGHT BLUE AND RED!!! Finneytown embodies my entire scholastic career!!! (I dont count college, I didnt learn anything there)

For those of you who havent met my father, my excitement over this information matches me better with him than any DNA Test ever could. Seriously.

DONT FORGET TO GO BACK AND SEND A QUICK LETTER TO MATTS CONGRESSMAN!!!

Im looking forward to hearing feedback on your call center/paper clip experiences.

Have a good weekend. We'll be at spoons pool party on Saturday. Plenty of good photos there for sure!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa,

Couple notes here about Ben Folds and John Mayer.

- Is it just me or was the average person in attendance a 17 year old female, all I kept hearing from the group behind me was "I wish I could have a beer" and "look, that girls got a margarita!" I assume they were talking about my wife and I as we were the only ones of legal age in our section, and since my wife, although 28, could at times be mistaken for a girl they sat next to in 3rd period study hall. It’s a little sad that one of the best singer/song writers of our generation is only appreciated by girls with signs that read “Today is a good day for having your baby” and the girl with the t-shirt that read, “huge John Meyers [sic] fan.”

- Ben Folds stylings on "Bitches ain’t Shit" were nice, but we were especially interested in the mom and her 10 year old son who came SPRINTING up the stairs as the second verse started, I know JM isn't exactly adult material, but seriously, taking your kid to a concert, there have to be better ways to bond with your kid.

- Finally, thanks for not disappointing. As Chrissie and I were driving to the concert I was mentioning something I read on your blog or something and said that you were the type of person that would probably see some random person from HS and it would be like no time had passed. Fast forward to your afore mentioned wait in the parking lot and we're walking by cars and I hear TONY! Turn and look and there you are, what it’s been like 5 years since I've seen you and you spot me in the rear view mirror in the parking garage after a concert, even in a heightened emotional state you were still able to pick out a person you know. It made for a really good story.

Tony Bourne

Fort said...

Arrrrggghhh! Tony! As soon as you walked away, I was like, "Dammit! I should have gotten a picture for the blog!" That really sucks. I guess I just got caught up in the moment.

And I dont get that excited about everyone from High school, just the good looking democrats.

Great recap of the concert. We were up high enough kick our legs back and just soak it all in. Im sure being around all the kids might have soured my experience.

That kid is going to be the coolest kid in school when he goes back in the fall and tells about his personal experience with a live version of "Bitches Aint Shit" As for his mother, I dont doubt some teacher will call childrens services.

:)

Anonymous said...

You are, no doubt, my daughter!!!
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Actually Fort, I've been writing gay love songs for quite some time.