Sunday, July 15, 2007


Special Birthday Wishes to my youngest cousin, Willie Miller!

Something SPECTACULAR happened this weekend!

Ill start from the beginning. Friday, Stacy, Alisa & I headed to Athens for our "Welcome Back Dave" alumni reunion. I was pretty bummed that I was still feeling so wiped out that I could only drink water (ok, ok, I nursed ONE beer for like an hour and then drank water) but it was so great to see Dave home and safe and sound, playing pool and enjoying the catseye like we all did 10 years ago.


Amy Trout, (who I still call "Jennings"...maiden name) showed up too. She lives in Athens just had a baby a week ago. Drove up to see everyone a week after a c-section!!! She was still hurtin' so it was great to see her. She took me home around 10:30 and we were talking - I said I never thought, ten years ago, that we'd all be back in the Cats Eye, one of us home from a war, one of us fighting cancer, and one of us one week out of a major surgery! We might not have been partying, but we were there!!!
Sadly, I didnt get many pictures AT ALL. I was kinda stuck in a booth the whole time rubbing my temples but I did manage to get this shot of the sign I had made for Dave hanging at the bar.

When Dave was growing up in Long Island, he and his brother were into break dancing. Dave actually was in a few competitions, and, as he tells it, if you win the "Dance-off", you take the moniker of the opposition. One of Dave's winnings was a new nickname, "Cosmic Freeze"

I came home with KJ & Aaron on Saturday and hung out at mom & dads just lying around watching movies all night. Got a well needed night of sleep and woke up early Sunday morning to go to my cousin Ryan's (and second cousin Josh's...and neigbors grandkid Kevin's) baseball game. They play for the 8th grade Carroll feeder team and were playing in a tournament that was named after the father of one of my mother's high school friends, Teri Young, who is also a dedicated blog reader! (Above, Me, Teri, Josh Fortener, Ron Adams, Dad, Mom, Ryan Adams)


After the game we all headed over to Nick and Meredith's new home! Its adorable and they've done more work in two days than we've done in a year. Its got so much character and the space is just great - heres a blurry picture of everyone hanging out in the living room. Ill post more pictures once they get everything in order.


Later that day, we headed up to Tremont for my cousin Willie's 9th Birthday. I was told weeks ago that my presence was MANDITORY and was not told anything else.


When we arrived, Willie gave me a big hug and then took my brother, cousin Chris and I upstairs to show us one of his video games, and then we headed to the back yard for the cookout - TONS of food and lots of great company.


After everyone had eaten, I was told to come up to the front table where some of Willie's presents were and have a seat. The camera's all come out.....Willie pulls out a paper and starts to read: When he is done reading, he then hands me a wrapped box. Inside is a scrapbook he and his family made for me documenting this project he did through his Sunday school. In it were photos of him making buckeyes and fudge with his grandma that they sold at Church and other events.

Willie's older brothers work with a good friend of mine from high school, Joe Krebs, who manages the restaurant they work at. There was also a picture of Joe and Willie, standing by a fundrasing bucket they placed at the counter.

It was all pretty amazing, and then he lastly handing me small pink playmate cooler and asked me to open it. It was full of bills, and thats when he read me the total: $2755.00.....all raised for me since Mothers Day.

I was speechless, and Im never speechless. I have a lot of bills that show up every month that simply get ripped up and thrown away. Maybe I pay ten dollars, sometimes I dont. Ive just learned that stressing about bills is one thing I wont let get to me, but it still doesnt make them vanish. This will allow me finally pay off my last round of Xeloda they've been billing me for months, as well as my last PET scan, which is usually a little over a grand a pop.

More important than the money though, this gift fulfilled a bigger need in my life right now. A little light from God that was about as pure as it can get. I've found myself struggling in the last few years with an overall discouragement in religion and what Christianity is supposed to be about.

Its so easy nowadays for people to be turned off by God, ever since a few people made him the Pro-War, Anti-Science mascot......but when you strip away all the confusing messages, conflicting ideas, you find that one stronghold that keeps people like me open to it. It's a beautiful thing when a 9-year old does a better job expressing than many adults!

Its hard to imagine how many people walked away after contributing to Willie's efforts thinking about how they, too, could help someone. Maybe something as simple as a friendlier face or as great as relieving the financial burden of their own loved one. His "Pay It Forward" effect could be nationwide. I know Im already thinking of something to do myself!

It was a great day, and Im thankful for such a great family. Thanks to Willie, and Judy, Bobby & Letha, and Aunt Helen, who all contributed to this project. I know your influence on him is amazing. I really dont deserve it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fort, looks like you had a wonderful day!! You have a wonderful family...God's light is amazing and may it keep shining on you!

Anonymous said...

What Willie did is AMAZING! Just a reminder of how great of a family you have and just how deserving you are of such kindness! Your strength and humor are an inspiration and just being you is paying it forward to all of us! You remind us what it means to live life to the fullest every day. Thank you for being that to me.

TK Angels said...

Ok- Melissa,
I read your blog. Have never commented. So now I will start. I am sitting here at work with tears streaming down by face at the fantastic job your beautiful cousin Willie did for you. He is one special little boy as you are one special young lady.

God bless you both.
PS-May I add your blog to my blogging buddies listing? It was so nice to see you all at the tournament on Sunday.

Take care,
Love,
Terri

Aileen said...

What an awesome kid Willie is! I too am sitting here with tears running down my face.
I heard about this idea on an Oprah show but never imagined a young child doing this and with such success. I think you should send this clip and some pics to Oprah.

Anonymous said...

Willie's parents can be proud that they are raising such a wonderful kid. - - Misti

Anonymous said...

We are the proud parents of Willie. We just want to thank everyone who helped him. We have been just blown away from all of the support from our family, friends and community. Willie's original goal was 500.00 we thought that was a long shot but he just proved to us that with a purpose a plan and faith in god anything is possible. Melissa and John we love you both very much you are always in our prayers. Love ya
Judy and Bobby

Anonymous said...

Willie Rocks!

ebeth

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
BIG Things come to Us when we dont expect them. Way to GO Willie and the ALL those that Helped You raise over 2,750ish Dollars..
Maybe the Restraunt Needs to Be Mentioned and Maybe a MO-Fort Day needs to Happen their with Willie and Fort Meeting the Well Wishers that Helped Raise the $$s and saida Prayer for You. I personally didnt know it was happening and was Surprised about IT. Id attend a MO Fort/Willie Lunch/Dinner Hour to Meet the Guestee andFundraiser. In this day and age when you hear about Shootings and Murders You rarly hear about Good Deeds one does.....

Hugs and Blessings to Willie and Melissa

Anonymous said...

That is hands down one of the coolest stories I have ever heard. I wonder if Willie wouldn't mind being my financial advisor from here on out. If he can turn $5 into that much, I am more then willing to give him 10% of everything he makes me. Hahahaha!!

All around a great blog entry, Fort. Reading stuff like this really makes you look at your life in a different perspective.