Sunday, August 12, 2007

What I am about to share with you is both INCREDIBLY true, and INCREDIBLY dull.

Ang has informed me that my posts of late SUCK, because its all about home improvements, so for the rest of you who dont give a hoot about hard labor, painting, and electrical pursuits, feel free to walk away. Because this weekend was, no joke, about 28 hours of cleaning, swiffering, pitching, painting, and screwing.....- with my Black and Decker you pervert!


Well, I had chosen the color of paint I wanted to use in the living room. I was happy with it. Then I made the grave mistake of sending Stacy a computer generated painted room showing my choice. She said she saw "purple in it". I said she was crazy and copied Kristen on the email. Kristen would definitely back me up. "I agree with Stacy, theres purple in it." These exchanges went back and forth and Stacy actually wrote, "Whatever. Its got purple undertones in it, barney. just letting you know." SHE CALLED ME BARNEY!!!!!!


So these crazy biz-nits put this bug in my head that had me at Lowes on Friday for about an HOUR longer than I should have been there, doubting my original choice. But in the end, I went with my gut. Im happy with it, although Stacy said it would be to "dark" ?????? So I painted the living room, and its all connected to the hallway upstairs, so I painted that too......

And bought too much paint! I had a whole gallon & a half left so I did the den as well. I finished the living room at 2am Friday night, and worked on this room most of the day Saturday. Check out the new curtains! We picked those up at Wal-Mart. Moved the couch around for those of you who have been here.... Heres a better shot of the dining room light. No joke, replaced those old tacky things with something a little more updated.....2.30 a pop. Let me remind you again....an $11 improvement vs. a new $150 lamp...


This is probably, hands down, my greatest technical feat ever. I got a wild hair to bust open this ceiling fan grandpa had lying around and gave to us. I have NEVER attempted to replace a ceiling fan, so I did not have very high expectations. Three hours and 47 F-Bombs later, I give you, the new celing fan in the green room. But the lights arent working. Im not sure why. Get into that next weekend I guess.....
After I put a celing fan up all by myself, I walking around like a Rhodes Scholar. John's parents had a left over porch light that didnt end up getting used at their house in North Carolina, so they gave it to us. Honestly, I knew we needed one on the back porch, but neither of us have any electrical skills at all, so I expected it to stay in the garage for another four years.....UNTIL NOW.



I went outside and inspected the light thats out there now. Bad Stuff. Its so rusted that I couldnt even twist the screws out to replace the light when It went out last winter.

But now that I had my masters in electrical engineering, I had a new optimism about the crappy old light and the gift from my in-laws. I pryed out the rusted nail, undid the old white to white wires and black to black wires, and got started on assembling my new porch light.....
An hour later, I had John come out and inspect....the light. It works!
And finally, I took the two blinds we had in the den and moved them into the bedroom...again, only about 8 more F-bombs to hang these bad boys.

All in all, it was probably the most productive weekend we've had since we moved into the place.
Sorry this wasnt more exciting, Ang.

Oh yeah, Shannon called me the other day to give me a few pointers about this 3-day walk and to remind me to start training a little. So I walked to winton woods, about 6 miles and it kicked my butt....I am NOT ready for this.

oh well.

HAPPY MONDAY! Chemo on Tuesday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely impressive work Fort...just not as entertaining to me being that I have no house to decorate and light fixtures to change. Maybe now that I am learning all of this from you I will head out and buy one! Mad props on the hard labor...looks rad!
Love ya- Ang
PS-Jess and I are having a garage sale in 2 weeks if you have anything you want to sell.

Anonymous said...

I love the house!! Great job Fort! When is the housewarming party?? I seriously would love to hire your two man crew for a few days!! I cannot believe that you hung a ceiling fan!! You are leaps and bounds ahead of Matt!! Love, Jami

Anonymous said...

I've got plenty of projects at my house...I won't mess with anything electrical, but you may have me inspired to do some much needed painting!

~Topeka
:-)

Anonymous said...

It looks great, not too dark at all. You knew Stacy would say that because next to white and bright white, everything will look "too dark"
Alisa