Monday, October 22, 2007

Geez Pauly!

Ok, "Fort's Friends" sucks. Does anyone have suggestions for a team name? Im open for anything. Pam's favorite at the Atlanta walk walk was "8 Tits on a Mission....Thanks for the mammaries" That was a good one. I guess Im having writers block. Here are a few things on my mental agenda right now:

  • Scrapbook mountain. Not this weekend, but next. Ill get my volleyball paycheck next week so teeny tiny chunk of that will go towards shimmer paper, glitter pens, adhesive (ARE YOU HAPPY JEAN?) and some wiggle scissors. Life doesnt get much better than this. The rest will go to credit cards, unfortunately. Siding on the house will have to wait. We are close to closing in on what I can only call a monumental credit card debt issue and I am hot to trot to get this thing nipped in the bud.
  • I wish you all could have been privy to the call I got from my brother, who attended my fathers last game. (Dad is coaching 7th grade football...for the first time) Let's just say that my brother is a complete emotional wreck when it comes to defending the ones he loves, and he bore witness to a parent telling their kid to "Go Yell at coach Fortener and tell him to put you in the game".....during a game. Who the hell does that? And for that matter, who the hell tells their kid to question ANYTHING a coach or parent does? When I was growing up, mom and dad NEVER took our side when we bitched and moaned about coaches or teachers. Just shut up and respect them. That was the rule of law. And I might add that most of the well-rounded, successful adults I know were raised just the same. I wont go into details, but my brother almost had to be physically restrained when these parents came up to confront my dad....Nick was going to coach with dad, but backed out when Meredith got pregnant. I called dad and said, "Dad, I dont know if it makes you feel any better, but if there were no laws, Nick would stand at your side and deck any parent who questioned ANY decision you made." He just laughed and said, "Yeah, its a good thing Meredith got pregnant or Nick would be in jail."
  • We're hosting an end of the year party for the JV/Varsity volleyball teams here at our place on Friday. Bonfire and cornhole if weather permits. Lets hope we can score some dry wood in the next few days. Looking forward to getting things cleaned up around here!!
  • Will the Winton Rd. Construction EVER be done???
  • We are probably going to start taking the Fostering classes this winter hopefully. Looking foward to getting that process moving. Things have been non stop since this summer.
  • Did any one catch Stephen Colbert on Meet the Press on Sunday? FANTASTIC! I feel sorry for people who dont get his humor.
  • Furthermore, did anyone see Dennis Kucinich on Colbert? I love this guy. Maybe one of the last truly genuine men in politics. But enough on that.
  • KJ is IM'ing me right now, and we are SO going to MASQUERAGE in Dayton next year! I think Pam wants to go too so we'll have to get a big group and just go hog wild. She sent me a link to the pics. Can you spot the Rubi Girls? Did anyone go?? How was it?http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/content/gen/sharedoh/photos_galleries/entertainment/events/2007masquerage.html
  • I have a follow up appt in Dayton tomorrow (Tuesday) morning at 8:40a. We'll see where they want to go now that I just had a pretty decent pet scan.
  • What does everyone think about the new J-Lo song? "Ya doin-doin-doin ya doin doinit doin it well...." Thoughts? John hates it. Gags everytime. I think I like it, but im too frustrated with her coming out of obscurity with such a spastic song. But I secretly like it, and I hate myself for it.
  • Ok, the Hills is starting. IM OUT!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I've got an addendum to your rule about questioning the coach. Without going in to great detail, I have spent the last week going ape on my son's coach for not putting my son (or four of his friends) in their THIRD GRADE PEE WEE FOOTBALL GAME! I call this the dumb a** rule since only nut jobs don't try to teach 8 year olds to play and let them sit on the sideline and feel bad about themselves during a game where they are supposed to be learning. I've got no problem with winning, just people in charge who don't know how to coach.

I experienced this at Kett. Middle School when I tried out for Football and talked to the Coach about baseball and, before they even saw me play, I heard "we've really already got our team set, but you're more than welcome to try out I just doubt you'll get to play"

I'm all for good coaches getting the benefit of the doubt (and I'm sure your dad is one of them) but what about the guys who don't play kids just because they've got to get their buddies kid in the game first, or who play their own kids both ways all game when the kid sucks? I don't feel like my kid needs to be a starter or even play a lot, but how is he going to learn if he never gets in?

TB

Aileen said...

TB
When one of my sons were that age (3rd) I signed him up for football. I was told they would teach the fundamentals and all kids would get equal play. My son played 1-2 minutes a game as did several other kids. Who played? The coaches kids and their friends. All outsider sat. I confronted the coach and he didn't care. My son never played football again.

As for Colbert , I've been reading "I'm America! (and so can you!)" and it is the funniest damn thing I've read in years.