Tuesday, January 29, 2008

OH NO THEY DI-INT!!!!
(Everybodys always talkin bout whos on top- dont cross our path cause youre gonna get stomped!)

NKOTB recently posted some cryptic slide show on their website indicating that a reunion may be in order. My prediction is that they'll do a greatest hits tour and bank on the 30 something contingency that still pines after them.

I found out today that a friend of mine STILL keeps 2 of the GIANT NKOTB buttons on her desk at work. (No! She wasnt in special ed!) And a bunch of my hs friends are already bouncing emails off each other about catching one of the shows. Another friend still has that nagging urge to see them after missing one of their shows at Timberwolf at KI fifteen years ago.

Im here to tell you that I was NOT, read, NOT a huge NKOTB fan. I was guilty by association, as, if you didnt want to hang out with NKOTB fans from 6th grade thru 8th grade, you might as well forget having friends at all. Despite not having a massive crush on any of them, I did make it to one concert. I went with all the Ascension girls - Jody, Emily, Terri, Melissa, Sicily to name a few. Karen Franz drove us down to Cincinnati for this 'event of a lifetime'.....yeesh.

We get to Cincinnati and KF immediately gets pulled over. Cop asks if there is beer in the car. WHAT??? Dude, we're 7th graders!!! What were the 7th graders doing in Cincinnati at that time? Anyway, we get there, we've got seats way up in the nosebleeds, and we had a big contingency of "JOEY FANS".....for those of you that remember, it was kind of like, "I have a favorite New Kid, therefore I am."

So we're basically over a quarter-mile from the stage right? And what do my friends want to do??? Spell JOE with the neon necklaces. Because Joey is going to see his name ALL THE WAY UP THERE, send his bodyguards on the 6 hour trek up to section 605 to pull us all down for some private time back stage. (I was a very cynical 12 year old even then)

I was discussing this with some friends today and I was just laughing at how long we took to get ready for that concert. All the girls had thier bangs "poofed" just right, and Im sure I was wearing some acid washed jeans with a ESPRIT t-shirt and my sagging, droopy, white trash poof struggling to make it through the night.

I remember my best friend from elementary school, Jenny Slaughter, and how she got mad at me once because I could never establish my favorite New Kid. (She was in love with Donnie) I finally broke down and said I liked Danny (You older folks, think Ringo) and she got all pissed at me because I wasnt taking the question seriously and NOBODY liked Danny. This was probably the biggest fight we ever had.

So feel free to post your favorite NKOTB memories. I never had any New Kids schwag so I dont have any digging to do.

I thought Id treat you all to some FANTASTIC NKOTB Lyrics I dug up, and let me say, I blushed a little bit!!!

LETS PLAY HOUSE

(The title says "Lets Play House" but the lyrics say something ENTIRELY DIFFERENT)

Oh babyThink its time - That you let me come inside your happy home - Show what you what a man like me can do - When you let me get next to you - Baby come and let me love you - All night - Can you imagineWhat we could do alone? - Turn off the phone - Ill teach you passion - Come inside your happy home

?????????

HANGIN TOUGH

(Everybody's favorite New Kid Song...)

Everybodys always talkin bout whos on top.(rap:) dont cross our path cause youre gonna get stomped.We aint gonna give anybody any slack.(rap:) and if you try to keep us down were gonna come right back,And you know wereHangin tough, hangin tough, hangin tough.(rap:) are you tough enough?

So? ARE YOU?????

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Romer's office called, you got your drugs and you're feeling better - great.

Aileen said...

Thank goodness he pulled through! glad to see you feeling better.

Anonymous said...

OMG - I was a HUGE NKOTB fan and I saw them twice. My very first concert was their show at Timberwolf with Tiffany opening. The entire crowd screamed for the New Kids through Tiffany's show - terribly rude, but really who cared about her?

Donnie was my favorite, I had a poster of him hanging over my bed. And I had the giant buttons on my nightstand. -- Misti

Anonymous said...

My NKOTB thing is that my band was playing in a club and just finished a set of playing stuff like Alice Cooper and Judas Priest and some girl with the puffy hair and looking like she just fell out of a Whitesnake video begged us to play some NKOTB and we just lost it and laughed alnite.....Bobby

Anonymous said...

Could that pic of NKOTB be ANY gayer?! And what is up with the 'happy home' lyrics?! *LOL*
Thanks for the moment of finger-pointing and cynical laughter, Fort - Breakfast of Champions and all that.
-Philly

Anonymous said...

So I definitely still have a beach towel that my grandma gave me after NKOTB were cool. And yes I still use it because I think it is hilarious. And Philly the only thing gayer than that picture is you! GOT YA! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Netti! You know you want me (don't tell Tammy!). You're killing me with that towel! :P~~
-Philly

Anonymous said...

I remember back in 5th or 6th grade that I thought I had gotten this underground "cassette" copy of this unknown great new band...NKOTB. I unleashed it at one of my rad slumber parties. You would think that with NKOTB in the air no one could possibly pull the "lets fight in the middle of the night, cry hysterically and wake your parents up" routine, but alas that's exactly what the night turned in to...I guess even the New Kids couldn't bring peace. Then I won Tiffany and NKOTB tickets on the radio...one of the proudest moments of my adolescence, even if my mom did have to drive me to the concert. Fort, Danny was my favorite too.

Ang

Anonymous said...

I'll make sure to bring the towel with me to the next rugby game. You will love it as much as you love me! (Don't tell Tammy, Don't tell Chet!)