Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ok San Diego/Charleston, its time to spill the beans...

Today is Wednesday, and tomorrow, Thursday March 27th will be my last day of employment at Commonwealth. Yes folks, the blog was shut down, not for maintence, not because I was afraid of insurance woes, but because I had landed an interview for a dream job I never in a million years would have thought possible.....and I got it.

Ill keep the title and the employer mum for a little while. As some of you already know, I had gone on a few interviews in the last few months, with no bites. Nothing too interesting, just looking for a change.

It wasnt until right before I went in for this interview, that I was given a verbal beatdown by a few fellow surviors who informed me that no, I dont need to disclose my "situation" in interviews (I had been) and duh, employers are googling potential candidates and hyper-disclosing myspace pages and blogs should be locked up (They werent).

So whaddaya know? I shut my yapper, temporarily kill the blog and the myspace page, get a great cliffs notes refresher course on interviewing from Stacy en route to the interview and a few weeks ago, I get the call that after three days of interviews, I was the chosen one!!!

Eventually, when I disclose whats going on with my employer (Id like to establish myself for a few months before bringing all this up) and everything is on the up and up, you'll all get a FULL Pictorial slide show of my new professional life.

Here's a few details I can disclose - Ill be "movin' on up" from a receptionists desk to my own office (with window - pics to come), great insurance that will become primary, John's will become secondary, which means the $5000 of yearly out of pocket expenses should be a thing of the past - I very nice raise, and best of all, Ill be doing everything that I love! Everything Im good at! The thought of never having to deal with another invoice/purchase order/shipping manifest does excite me just a little itty bitty bit.

What this also means, though is that I had to break up with Dr. Romer at my last treatment. He was excited for me and has already refered me to a new oncologist (you'll understand why I had to make this change soon) and refused to say good bye. "Im not saying goodbye, I hate goodbyes, You'll be around"...that was fine with me. But when I got to the treatment room, I started telling Joni about the new job and, well, I lost it. I dont lose it like that often, but I have been going to this doctor for five years! These nurses are just friends who poison me every now and again. And Im going to to have to get a new doctor. Im sad, but Joni promised we would still go out and self-medicate. I have a feeling she's even more fun drunk, anyway. She got pregnant as a teenager so you KNOW she's a good time.

The only thing going on with me right now? The tinnitus is still going strong. I still need to watch tv in bed before I fall asleep which John just LOVES. The ringing is still loud - perhaps getting louder? Its hard to tell. This is sort of my "new normal". I cant remember what a quiet room sounds like. Its all high pitched and fuzzy. Everyone's tinnitus is different, mine sounds like when you put your headset on, turn it on, and you're waiting for the music to start. You can hear that its "on". Thats what I hear. All day, Every day.

I still have this perpetual sinus infection that just doesnt seem to go away. Its just getting annoying at this point. Just in time for spring allergies. Spectacular. And those of you who have seen me lately, I have developed a case of leprosy of Biblical proportions. (just kidding, its not leprosy) I dont know what it is, but I developed some sort of rash on the top of my right hand. It itches a little bit, is not contagious, but no one can figure out what it is. SOmeone said it could be anxiety over the new job, but this is GREAT anxiety and Ive had my share of crummy anxiety without this!!! Who knows. I saw a dermatologist who did a biopsy on it last week. Should know something Friday. Its not skin cancer or anything, so dont worry. Maybe this will just go away when things settle down. But right now, its more embarassing than anything. I feel like the kid on the commercial who's interviewing but the guy interviewing him can only look at the stain. People just stare at my hand.

Im like aging hollywood star. Young looking face with the hands of a ninety year old.

Oh well, im sure it will get better.

Hope this pacifies everyone for awhile. Sorry, no pics today. We're going to Nashville this weekend for a rugby tournament to get out of town for awhile. They'll be GREAT pics from that one!!!

Happy Thursday!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Fort - So excited about your new JOB! Can't wait until you release juciy details! Till then we'll just have to have fun at NashBash!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! I can't wait to email you at your new email address: Fort@undisclosedcompany.com

Love ya! SHS

TB said...

Hey, congrats on the new job, and look forward to reading all about it.

Anonymous said...

Fort that is great Im so happy for you!! Don't worry about the rashy, just tell people you got bit by the good job bug!! Can't wait to see pics of your new office!!! yeahh
Crystal =)

Anonymous said...

Full disclosure - can't wait to see pics of that window office. What, no more insurance horror stories? Let's hope NOT. Now that you're back on line I bet that rash goes away! We will all miss the Doc and nurse Joni. Enjoy the Rugby. Cousin Sue