Monday, October 09, 2006

Desperately Seeking Decorating Advice!!!


Im sorry that Ive subjected you all to "Tacky Corner" (or the place in our kitchen where random junk like beer coozies, novelty beer mugs and tin baking pans are stored for all the world to see)...the corner of our home that I stare at, scratching my head, wondering how in the world we're gonna jazz it up. And by "we" I mean "me", because J-Mac could care less about it!...But its driving me nuts!!

I cant fall asleep and its 12:30 so Im going to post this and get it out of my head or else Ill NEVER get some Z's. Ok - so what you're looking at are two industrial looking shelving units that have NO BUSINESS in a kitchen. Im more than ready to take them down (they were in EVERY SINGLE ROOM...ugh), but I dont know WHAT to do with the space! The marble top table we picked up when we moved in to fill in the space. I think it works there, but if you have a better idea, it could potentially move into the dining room...

Im thinking about taking the shelves down & turning the table out ward and putting stools on either side so its like an eat in kitchen....but thats really not what the table is for and it might make it look worse)

(My dream is to win the lottery, and take out that wall and put a bar in a la Mom & dads kitchen, but for now I need some low budget options.)

If you have some suggestions, PLEASE let me know - or if you know someone who has a knack for this kinda stuff, could you kindly forward it along? Im SO open for suggestions! post here or email me if you have any ideas, or any potentional pieces of furniture or shelving/storage units that you think might work.

A big project that Id like to do is paint these metal cabinets (they're painted BRICK RED but they're in such good shape that Id like to just paint them...) Let me know if you have any sort of experience with this sort of thing, or if you know of a color scheme that would freshen it up...the appliances are black, the cabinets are metal painted brick red, the walls are ivory and the countertops are BLUE.....yeah. You try and make something work... I think it would MAKE a great project for an interior design class...

(oh...Alisa! Do you have Cara's email? Can you forward this to her?)

Signed,

Seeing Brick Red in Ohio


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great as is.

And it's incorrect to say "could care less." Please use "couldn't" going forward. Thanks.

Fort said...

but Stetson, he COULD care less. I dont think he cares about it much now, but if i were to push the issue of kitchen renovation - he definitely could care less.

there.

Anonymous said...

depends on a few things. Do you need more seating space? Need more storage space? Or can you use this space in any capacity?

Anonymous said...

From the looks of it, she needs something with doors to hide all that stuff in...

Anonymous said...

I agree. I don';t think those shelves were made for clutter. Some nice green vining plants maybe. How about buying or building a storage area that also has a padded seat on top. Doors under that open...say 3-4. The clutter goes underneath and you still have a nice sitting area if people want to visit with you while you...well someone....cooks in the kitchen. look at lowes or somewhere at some kitchen cabinets that have been roughed up as a base maybe. Save loads of money that way. Then roll that table into the dining room or somewhere a bar will look nice.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should just move...it'd be easier overall.

-Mrs. Surly-Philly