Sunday, February 11, 2007

Cincinnati's BRIDALRAMA! - Duke Energy Center
Spent the weekend fully appreciating the off the wall, far from traditional nuptuals John and I had a few years back. I worked the Bridalrama downtown for two days talking to brides and parents about the Cincinnati Railway Company. It was a fraction of the size and length of the hardware trade shows I have done for Ready Tools (Las Vegas, ATL, Baltimore) but it was a little different this time around for many reasons:
The hardware shows were at venues many times bigger....the photo above is of the Cincinnati Convention center...below is the Las Vegas Convention center.....Another good thing was the times and the length of the shows. The Bridalrama was Sat/Sun 11-5, and most of these hardware shows can go from 5-6 days and have some REDICULOUS times, like 8-5:30! UGH! Not to mention I was always staying at hotels for those which required getting up even earlier, cabs, and worse, having to sell product on the spot. When you're selling $10,000 trips, you feel an obligation to inform people but dont go home feeling unsuccessful if you dont book a trip. We didnt. It was a great marketing opportunity. Viva Las Vegas! Below is a picture of our booth....thats Chef Bill who worked the booth with me. He is the private chef that goes on all of the private railcar trips and also serves as a car attendant to deal with all the Amtrak switching that goes on a trip. He baked a big plate of cookies and had them out on the table.

The thing about these shows? Most people know what they're there for. Maybe they just need a photographer...or a caterer....or a reception hall....or all. Many will pass your booth and slow down only to grab a free cookie. Some will humor you with some small talk and then take their cookie. For a second there it was as if we had a sign that said, "FREE COOKIES" we were a "Free cookie booth" there for awhile. We had a few decent leads, although we were looking to sell honeymoon trips, but all the good leads were non-wedding related.

Before I treat you all to some more cute baby pictures of Emma & Annie from Saturday night, can I insult another group of humans? (Horse enthusiasts you're off the hook)...The convention center was serving a dual purpose this weekend. Also under the roof was a dance competition - what looked to be girls in the 5th grade through high school age?

Let me just come out and be blunt. If you are out there encouraging your daughter to get into these dance teams that encourage dressing young girls up like WHORES, and making a 12 year old do a dance routine that looks like it was stolen off the video for "Rump Shaker", you have a problem. There is an epidemic of girls who are being sucked in wanting nothing more for their future past a gig shaking their ass in a rap video, and the most pathetic thing???? THE MOTHERS WHO PERPETUATE AND MAKE IT OK.

Leagues of 13 year old wanna be Fergies and their spastic-overdone, high-maintenced mothers blowing wind into the sails of these mini ego trips. So sad. Hopefully they'll see the errors of their ways when they have to deal with a junior high girl dealing with date rape or pregnancy. Dont get me wrong, no DOES mean no, but if you're letting your young girls go out in public with their ASSES HANGING OUT of their skirts and enough makeup to make Tammy Faye cringe, you sure arent exactly saying its NOT OK....

And dont think for a second I dont know that it was those skinny-assed mothers in their ginormous SUV's taking up two spots in the parking garage.

Breathe!!! Arrrrggghh....does anyone else share this feeling? When I was that age, we were wearing Umbros and big I.O.U. Sweatshirts. Even the biggest whore in school had a more conservative dress code than some of these girls.

And if you're thinking to yourself, "Oh, you're just jealous because you're a fat jock"...well, I cant deny that either. But its still wrong.
NOW!!!! On with the Bee-Bees!! Emma is starting to talk...Bee-Bee, MaMa, DaDa, and coming soon, "FORT!" I was on the phone with Emma today and stacy Allllmost had her say it. you can tell she wants to, I mean, who wouldnt?

Alisa and David came into town for dinner and brought Annie. They were very well behaved and played so nice! Annie is adorable, she gets excited for no apparent reason and will be very quiet and all of the sudden let out a scream of excitement clapping her hands. I cant blame her, everyone gets excited when im around...
Ive got the grammys on and im watching that Corinne Bailey Ray (??) with John Legend and John Mayer trio performance...how awesome! Its nice that there are still some singer songwriters left in my generation and its not all studio-doctored lyrical CRAP-fergilicious-bullshit that you hear on the radio these days....OMG its still going on....is anyone else watching this??? ITS AMAZING!!!!!

Have a great week!!!
Are my questions of the day not that exciting these days?
How about a QUESTIONS of the WEEK???
(This question of the week is inspired by the "bulletins" on myspace where people post their answers to 50-some random questions, most of which, nobody gives a crap about and is done mostly stroke ones ego with the false notion that anyone CARES whether you prefer minty or cinnamon toothpaste. I have cherry picked three of my favorite questions. PLEASE ANSWER ALL THREE!!! )
1 - Do you have scars? If so, where? Why?
2 - Toothpaste? Minty? Cinnamon? Other?
3 - If you could meet one person from history, dead or alive, who would it be?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post today. I'm happy to say that I've never filled out one of those stupid questionnaires on myspace (crap, I just admitted that I have a myspace page).

Your answers:
1. I have multiple scars, the best is one on my knee where people asked if I had knee surgery. No, I was cleated at Nash Bash one year. I don't think I cleaned it out the whole weekend (was obviously too busy drinking) and it got very infected and scarred. yea!

2. Mint. All others are nasty.

3. I'd like to meet my great grandpa. He built a lot of really cool stuff (including my dining room table) and had patents on some things he invented. Sadly, no money from any of them though... I bet he was a neat guy though.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that on most of your tyranical posts I agree...and yes on the subject of dance team 6 year olds with booty shorts on...I agree completely. And nice shout out on the Umbros and IOU shirts, I still managed to be slutty wearing those. ;-) And those Moms...don't even get me started! However I must disagree with you on the FERGIE bashing, yes there is a classic quality to John Mayer, Corinne Bailey Ray and John Legend...but I know you well enough to know that there are a few of those Fergie-like songs out there that you like ;-) STOP THE HATING!

Scars-Yes,knee surgery and many scars that take the form of
tattoos...YES, I am white trash

Toothpaste-Minty...but some of them can taste pretty nasty. It takes time to find the perfect one.

I'd like to meet my mom's dad and her brother. They died before I was born.

Anonymous said...

What drives me nuts are the pants with words across the ass that are made and worn by very young girls. Do you REALLY want people staring at your young daughters ass? Nothing sexier than a 6 year old with "JUICY" plastered across her back end for all the perverts in the world to admire. Anyone who makes or buys these clothes should be taken out and beaten within an inch of their lives!

1. My left hand pointer finger was cut of in a meat grinder when I was 2. It was reattached but it's kind of ugly. I have scare all over my head from when I was younger and would pass out every camping season landing head 1st onto tent stakes. C-section scar, left hand has a big scar from sticking my hand into a glass trying to wash it. I was a very expensive child.

2. Minty.

3. I think it would have to be someone adventurous who had seen alot of the world. Or,someone who lived in Ireland way back in the formative years.

Anonymous said...

1. I have a lot of emotional scars from my 3 older sisters. And I've got some stitches under my lip. Slipped on the wet steps of the monkey bars when I was a kid. I fell and hit my chin on the top step...biting a hole in my lip. My knees are an assortment of discoloration/scarring

2. Colgate total whitening paste...I think

3. Benjamin Franklin or Snoop Dogg

Anonymous said...

1. I have a scar on the palm-side of my middle finger. In 11th grade chemistry I was trying to put glass tubing through a stopper and pushed a little too hard.
2. I'm a Crest gal. Mint. I like the extreme pastes.
3. Does it have to be one? I like Mark Twain, Benjamin Franklin, and Mother Teresa.

--annie