Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Yeah, I realize this is a disgustingly unflattering photo of myself, but I took this the other day after about 4 days of non-stop nose bleeding. Looking a little pale, you're thinking. Gotta take care of that, Fort. Right. Got it. Well, my PET scan was today. Nothing new. Only my dumb ass scheduled it for SEVEN AM, mostly so I could get out sooner and get close to a full day of work before going to my volleyball game. Wishful thinking.

I get the PET scan done, with a slight delay becuase my nose was still bleeding after they had injected me with the radioactive dye. I had called Joni at Dr. Romers office yesterday and she said she wanted me to get a CBC test to check my blood counts. I tried to get one at the hospital after the PET scan, but we waited 30 min, and at this point, Im still thinking Im going back to work. We left and went to Romers office since I knew they could prick me and send me on my way much quicker. That was not to be. My platelets were at 17,000. Apparently it should be in the 100,000-500,000 range. I had also lost a unit of blood as well. Hence the white pale face and bloody noses that would not stop since I had no platelets.
Joni has threatened me about having to go to the hospital if my counts got to a certian point, but I just thought those were empy threats. not this time. I was instructed to get my but back to the hospital for a TRANSFUSION..... for 2 units of blood and one unit of platelets (looks like a pukey gold liquid) This was to last me about 6-7 hours. bye bye work. Bye bye volleyball game.

Here I am all ready to roll. My arm got stuck no less than six times today. super fun.
Thats me below looking at the pukey green gold platelet bag. Ok, now they've got the blood flowin, and they brought me a ham sandwich for lunch. But my nose was really sore so they brought me in small packet of KY jelly. I was a little creeped out. The Mayo and the KY looked too much alike. I was worried I might put KY on the sandwich, but It was all good.
Nick stopped by after work, shared some nick stories, and was on his way.

Ok, heres the bag of blood. Thanks to who evers blood is runnign through my veins right now....'Preciateit!!!!! Oh yeah, then I had to an MRI on my brain at 7:30 since I was having headaches. So all in all, what should have been a two hour event, evoloved into a fourteen hour proceedure-thon. What a day.

Hopefully things will improve tremendously by tomorrow, im still alittle loopy from the benedryl, vicodin, etc i had today.

Thanks for sending all the prayers & positive energy!!! Im finally feelin it!!!

:)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fort, MO,

Hugs, Thoughts and Prayers

Anonymous said...

You always make the best out of any situation. I admire that about you Fort! God Bless You Girl! Love, Jami

Aileen said...

Lots of Love from me,Tom and the hooligans. John found a gem in you sweetheart.

TK Angels said...

I also admire your "making the best" of the situation.

God Bless,
Terri

Anonymous said...

Mo- Your in our hearts 24/7 and we have you in our prayers everyday. You just don't know much Willie looks up to you and all the compassion show to others and the courage thats in you. You are blessing to all of us.
Bobby, Judy and Willie Mo

Anonymous said...

O+ blood? I think that was mine that you got! -- Misti

Anonymous said...

Fort, I hope your feeling MUCH better today. Today is talk like a pirate day, so host ye sails and have a right splendid day mate!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

Anonymous said...

We love you and are thinking about you and praying for you (and apparently since today is talk like a pirate day we'll send some up in "pirate speak" as well.) :)

Much love,
Becky, Bill, Will & Cole

Susie Q said...

No matter what darlin' girl...you always smile. And you make all of us smile too. You are amazing. Hmm...now, I gave 0+ blood and I don't have some thing in my blood that is a GOOD thing (Do not ask me for the name..I am so bad at remembering things) an my blood can be given to anyone whose immune system is low...But oh sweetie. I hope you got other blood than mine...you might pick up some of my
hot flashes, my fat genes, my snoring...wait, is snoring passed on through blood? Nah...
Now, you still look better pale than most do all rosy cheeked.
You have more people praying for you and caring about you than you could ever realize. You an I have never met *officially* but I went to HS with your Mom. I also live next door to Sharon Kershner who I know you know...you are on my mind so often and in my heart always.
So, get off that bed girl and go coach a volleyball game!
I send hugs and love...
Sue

Anonymous said...

No way, that's definitely my blood in that bag. I'd recognize it anywhere! :)

Hang tough, Fort. We're praying. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

That picture of you doesn't look too bad...or at least any worse than you did on a Sunday morning back in college.